What goes on in Poland on the 11th of February.
Szymański: The goal of negotioans on the gas directive has been achieved. To be continued
Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Konrad Szymański explains BiznesAlert.pl the achievements of negotiations on the revision of the gas directive. It may affect the fate of the contested Nord Stream 2. – The current version of the text imposes an obligation to enforce EU law on the regulatory authorities of the state where the given gas pipeline ends – in this case Germany.
– The political decision on the revision of the gas directive, which was the subject of Friday’s COREPER, was long awaited – the EC presented the first proposal of the document in November 2017 – reminds the minister. – The purpose of the directive is to remedy the situation in which some gas pipelines from third countries would operate in a legal vacuum. It is necessary for the implementation of the Energy Union. The adopted negotiating mandate does not entirely meet the assumptions of the original EC proposal and our ambitions, but it provides a basis for negotiations with the European Parliament.
– The Directive is not only aimed at Nord Stream 2. However, it is the example of this project that most clearly shows the gaps in the law, the elimination of which is crucial to ensure a level playing field in the European gas market – says Konrad Szymański. – The solution proposed today would ensure the applicability of EU law to Nord Stream 2. The issue of the territorial scope of the directive should be the subject of further discussions with the European Parliament.
– The current version of the text imposes an obligation to enforce EU law on the regulatory authorities of the state on which the given gas pipeline falls – in this case Germany. These bodies must operate within the limits of EU law, under the control of the European Commission and the EU Court of Justice. We also expect the European Commission to play a leading role in possible international negotiations as a result of the adoption of the directive. The effects of the adoption of the directive should be viewed through the prism of the whole process – said the minister to the portal BiznesAlert.pl.
– The goal of both Poland and France was to negotiate between the Council and Parliament. This goal has been achieved – concludes Konrad Szymański.
Gas directive only on a section of Nord Stream 2? Buzek: The position of the EP is unambiguous
The head of further negotiations on the revision of the gas directive informs that the current regulation proposal assumes the subordination of Nord Stream 2 to EU law, but an amendment has been proposed that will only cover the German section of the disputed gas pipeline.
Jerzy Buzek, former prime minister of the Republic of Poland, and currently the chairman of the European Parliament’s Committee on Industry, Research and Energy will lead further negotiations on the revision of the gas directive that can entrap Nord Stream 2.
– What the Romanian Presidency put on the table was a good starting point for discussion – admitted Jerzy Buzek. – An amendment has been tabled, that the regulations would only concern the country where the gas pipeline goes. From the European Parliament’s point of view, the matter is unambiguous.
He reminded that the European Parliament could tighten some of the provisions of the revision in the course of further negotiations. – Our position is unambiguous: EU law, ie the third energy package, must apply throughout the entire European Union – the Prime Minister concluded.